Search Lowest fares on all travel sites with one click !
Browse Railway Tourism
- Bharat Darshan
- Hill Trains In India
- Luxury Train Tours
- Rail Tour Packages
Matheran Light Railway
Tourists can visit the Matheran hill station by means of the Matheran Light Railway tour which is mostly a weekend getaway place due to its proximity to Mumbai and Pune. The Matheran Light Railway has been a world heritage site by the UNESCO due to its narrow gauge railway line and the beautiful landscape that it travels. By paying up the Matheran Light Railway tariff, people get to visit the literary ‘forest on top’ in the Western Ghats at a height of 800 mts. The different look out points, along the Matheran Light Railway route is the attractive point where the tourists can view the Panorama point, the picturesque Neral town, the sunset and sunrise from one tree hill point, hart point, Monkey point, Porcupine point, Rambagh point and many more such scenic spots. The erstwhile governors of British era had Matheran as their holiday summer resort. Now, tourists can get to feel the breathtaking scenes that Matheran Light Railway has to provide by doing the Matheran Light Railway Booking. Being present since 1907, the Matheran Light Railway route is also a heritage site with a visit to the hill top. But the union environment ministry has declared it as an eco-sensitive zone. The closest residential towns to the route of Matheran Light Railway are Neral, and Dasturi point. Since, no vehicles are allowed to Matheran, people can drive to Dasturi point and walk or ride back on pony to catch the train for the Matheran Light Railway tour.
- The Matheran Light Railway tariff that people can enjoy is of the standard and comfort classes.
- For the standard, the Matheran Light Railway booking is done at a cost of 2899 INR for twin sharing and 2749 INR for triple sharing.
- Any extra child between 5 to 11 years shall be charged Matheran Light Railway tariff of 1649 INR.
- For the comfort category, the costs are 3599 INR and 3199 INR for twin and triple sharing respectively and an extra child rate is 1799 INR.
- The Matheran Light Railway includes a stay in hotel Brightland for standard and hotel Usha Ascot for comfort classes.
- The packages of the Matheran Light Railway booking include the train fare, hotel accommodation, lunch, and includes hotel and service taxes.
- The packages for the Matheran Light Railway route travel are best taken from November 15th to 31st march excluding the period of X-mas holiday.
- People can then fill in the details regarding the dates of travel and the number of tourists going of the Matheran Light Railway journey.
- This Matheran Light Railway booking is easy to do through payment options of Mastercard, visa or American express credit cards and debits cards of many banks as well as the ITZ cash card.
- The booking confirmation for the Matheran Light Railway tour is done only at the Neral railway station after which it is conveyed to the people.
- The Matheran Light Railway booking cancellation is governed by the terms and conditions of the IRCTC.
- Cancellations, done before 15 days leads to a charge of Rs. 100/-, while cancellation before 4 days of departure would cost the full ticket amount.
- These rules of the Matheran Light Railway tariff should be kept in mind by people who are making Matheran Light Railway booking.
- The tour itinerary of Matheran Light Railway train involves boarding and getting down at different places and catching the Neral-Matheran-Neral train as direct road access to Matheran is not there.
- This Matheran Light Railway booking allows people a 1 night and 2 days Matheran Light Railway tour.
- Since the Matheran Light Railway tour involves transportation from Neral to Matheran via train, people have to change trains during the Matheran Light Railway route.
- By making the Matheran Light Railway booking once, they get to board the train no 601 at Neral at 7.30 hrs and then change trains with numbers 603, 605, 607, 609 in the down direction to reach Matheran finally at 19.00 hrs.
- After traveling in the Matheran Light Railway, tourists are supposed to check in the hotel which is covered under the Matheran Light Railway tariff.
- Different sightseeing places are to be visited after traveling in the Matheran Light Railway tour such as king George point, Edward point, Echo point, Louisa point, Cecil point, Lord point and Charlortte lake with also visit to Pisarnath temple included in the Matheran Light Railway tour.
- The 2nd day concludes with rest at the hotel and then proceeding back to Neral by the up trains numbered 602, 604, 606, 608 and 610 taking the visitors who have done the Matheran Light Railway booking to the point of Neral finally.
- Along the way, the view of the picturesque scenery is seen and this gets etched in the memory of those who have taken the Matheran Light Railway route.
The experience of traveling in the Matheran Light raIlway is something that goes into the hearts of people with so many of the scenic beauty of the hills of the Western Ghats, with tunnels, valleys, ridges and such landscapes on the way. It is truly an experience that enriches a weekend getaway and the Matheran Light Railway tour is a befitting weekend retreat for people from the nearby areas and a perfect holiday trip from other parts of the country. It is the enchanting surrounding of the Matheran Light Railway route that gives many memories to be cherished for a long time to come.