Search Lowest fares on all travel sites with one click !
Browse India Festival Tours
Onam Festival Tour
The onam festival in India is supposedly one of the most famous celebrations where the atmosphere is not less than any carnival. Extending for a period of over 10 days, the onam festival of kerala is considerably bigger as the public is immersed in the most pompous celebration of the onam. The onam festival history is as extravagant as the onam festival celebrations itself to commemorate the glory of a just ruler. This reverence is suitably reflected in the manner in which the festival is celebrated with new clothes, various recipes and the gaiety which the tourists on onam festival tour can easily and surely visualize.
History And Significance :
- When the rule of king mahabali, the most powerful but just ruler of south India became a threatening force to the gods, he was asked for three steps of land where the 3rd step was placed on the king’s head, thus exiling him to the underworld but being allowed one visit per year.
- It is through this onam festival history that the onam festival in India is celebrated during the month of august – September.
- The onam festival celebrations are marked by the people decorating and painting their houses, making delicacies like never in the year, and enjoying the occasion with various cultural programs.
- Those tourists who come on the onam festival tour can see the best of the culture of the state during the onam festival of kerala.
- The significance of the onam festival in India is about the welcoming of a just and liberal rule in the region which is sure to take away the pain and sufferings.
- With this mythological story behind the onam festival history, people have been celebrating the occasion with much pomp and splendor.
Recipes And Foods :
- The occasion of onam festival of kerala prompts the people to enjoy in every possible manner.
- And to put a taste to this enjoyment, the tourists on onam festival tour can find the long list of delicacies that have a perfect origin in the onam festival history.
- The recipes of the onam festival in India includes the most flavoured and tasty items from the local cuisine such as the coconut chutney, avial, olan, thoran, tomato rasam, banana halwa, dosas, dry fruit kesari, etc.
- The number of items that people make is too many and is available for those on onam festival tour in the many eateries and restaurants.
- One very special feature about the food during the onam festival of kerala is the grand feast or Onasadya, during which is a nine course meal with 11 to 13 essential dishes and is served on banana leaves and eaten by sitting on mats on the floor.
Terms, Activities And Rituals :
- The onam festival of kerala goes on for about 10 days and includes many activities that are spread out in these days of onam festival celebrations.
- Traditional games called Onakalikal are played during the onam festival in India which includes archery, ball games, combats, and the kerala version of kabbadi or kutukutu.
- Specific dance forms of kaikottikali with the clapping of hands and thumbi thullal, etc are performed with the embroderied and gold colored attire, exuding a grace that is befitting in the occasion.
- The traditional Vallamkalli or the snake boat race, kumatti kali and pulikalli, etc are forms of entertainment that have a cultural background and are closely knit with the onam festival history.
- Onam is the biggest and most important festival of kerala wherein a myriad of activities are done during the total period of onam festival in India.
- People of all age group can be seen enjoying the slings from the tree, the prayer meetings, the variety of cultural functions, and the entertainment with fireworks.
- Sweet dishes are the flavor of the onam festival of kerala where people mix with each other and exchange gifts and wishes.
- The first day of Atham and the last day or the big day of Thiru Onam are the days when the festivities are more glorified.
- The prayers on each of the days of onam festival celebrations are conducted with pompous rituals and the preparation from flour is given to the deities.
- Much of the basis of the onam festival of kerala is on the season of harvest and so the rituals during the ten day celebrations are related more or less to the agricultural customs.
- But various dance forms and local cultural occasions add to the charm of the festivities which become a special trip when people take up the onam festival tour.
- The manner in which the onam festival celebrations are done is not only a reflection of the onam festival history, but also has a deep root in the customs and culture of kerala.
Regional Significance :
- In most parts of India, the festivities are a common thing during the harvest season as people depend more on agriculture.
- Even though they might not be active in agricultural activities, yet the customs are a force enough for celebrations in the lines of onam festival of kerala.
- In many parts of the country, the same jubilation and exotic celebrations go on for many days.
Tour Packages And Providers :
- Kerala flexi tours provides a number of onam festival tour packages for the tourists who can see the festival being celebrated during the months of august to September.
- India travel trendz has many packages to enjoy the onam festival celebrations for the tourists who can also take part in the various cultural programs that are being organized in the onam festival in India and especially in kerala.
- Another company that provides the onam festival tour is the sai tours and travels that can give a life time experience with the onam festival history as tourists get the glimpse from close quarters about the flamboyance of the onam festival celebrations.
- Indian memoirz travel pvt ltd allows the tourists to have a view of the onam festival of kerala for those who are willing for a serene trip to the backwaters of kerala and that too during the onam festival celebrations.
There are many agencies that have the onam festival tour up their sleeves for letting people enjoy the warmth and onam festival history intricately linked with the customs of the land. Onam festival celebrations could be the perfect alibi to be in the so called god’s own country, so that the essence of the onam festival in India can be experienced first hand. The festivities are enormous as well as heart touching and those tourists who have experienced the onam festival of kerala would rarely forget the ethos of the land that is so close to the nature.