Search Lowest fares on all travel sites with one click !
Browse India Festival Tours
Durga Puja Festival Tour
If there is a festival in india which has been the most popular, then it is the durga puja in india. The start of preparations for the durga puja celebrations long before the actual day of puja goes on to show that the festival has a special significance in the hearts of the people as is the durga puja history. Durga puja festival in Kolkata is said to be the most flamboyantly celebrated occasion with so many things to be done. The durga puja history is as glorious as the manner in which the durga puja in india is celebrated and those tourists who are on a trip of durga puja festival tour have the best time in their life as well as can see an aspect of india which is not seen during other times.
History And Significance :
- A durga puja festival tour by the travelers takes them to the world of the most pompous and exotically celebrated occasion during the month of September or October.
- Since the mythological times when Lord Rama and Ravana ruled the earth, the durga puja history has beckoned millions of devotees to the feet of the goddess durga who is an incarnation of the powers of all the gods.
- Durga puja in india started as a mark of the triumph of the goddess over the demon mahisasura.
- Actually, the festival should fall on the month of april when the basant season is there, but by rule, the durga puja celebrations have been done during the last day of the new moon during the autumn season starting from the day of Mahalaya.
- The durga puja festival in Kolkata clearly depicts the reverence that the goddess received due to the sheer fact of the win of good over evil, thereby restoring the peace on earth.
- Although, this is what the major significance is, there are many other reasons which are commemorated for a period of eight days of dusshera.
- Besides the puja that is offered to the goddess durga, people have the custom of visiting their parental homes and there is a mass holiday for people to celebrate and visit the different pandals of the goddess.
Food And Recipes :
- During the durga puja festival tour, tourists can enjoy the best of the delicacies that are not usually found in other seasons.
- Sweet items are the most prevalent with preparations of many delicacies depending on the region to which the tour is taken during the durga puja in india.
- Although sweet tongue is the highlight of many occasions, durga puja festival in kolkata has people preparing all types of spicy food items and these are mostly vegetarian items.
- Aloo Posto, Bandhakopar Dalna, Chola dal, labra, misthi doi, etc are prepared during the durga puja celebrations and on different days of the whole durga puja in India.
- The Roshogolla is a sweet dish that is necessarily prepared in every household and is used for the Prasad of the goddess.
Date And Season :
- The durga puja festival tour is best taken in the month of September or October which according to the hindu calendar falls in the beginning of the month of Ashwin or autumn when the climate is at its soothing best before the winters and after the rainy season has gone by.
- The durga puja celebrations go on for the complete 9 days, and are followed by more music and dance after the puja is over. People usually take of a couple of fortnight holiday for the commemoration of the significance of the durga puja history.
Activities, Terms And Rituals :
- The durga puja festival in kolkata starts from the day of mahalaya when the ancestors are prayed and then it is continued for 9 days.
- On the 6th day or sasthi, parents keep fast for their children’s wellbeing.
- The prayers to the goddess is started with full gaiety from the saptami or 7th day and is completed on 9th day after which the goddess is supposed to return back to her abode from her father’s place.
- The last day is the dashami which is the backbone of the durga puja history when the destruction of the demon was done by the goddess.
- According to the legends, this was also the day when Lord Rama killed the mighty Ravana and so the tourists on durga puja festival tour can have the glorious visual of firecrackers and fire burning the colossal effigies of Ravana in many parts of India.
- Besides, the song and dance and various cultural functions are held in full shows. The entire nation is said to be in a jubilant mood which gives an intoxicating feel in the air during the shiradiya which means the festival of the autumn. Akal bodhan is a term that is synonymous with the durga puja history as there are suggestions that the festival should have been ideally celebrated during the basanta season in the months of april or march but is being held in another time.
Regional Significance :
The festival of durga puja in India is celebrated in almost every part of the country as the durga puja history is relevant to every person in every state. This allows the visuals of the durga puja celebrations in every durga puja festival tour that people take up during the particular season in that part of the year.
- West Bengal is the place where the festival is celebrated in the grandest of ways but still the fervor in other parts of India is not anything less.
- The 9 days of the durga puja festival in kolkata and other cities is characterized by fasts and prayers.
- In northern India, people participate in the dandiya and garba dances while in southern India, prayers are offered to goddesses durga, saraswati and laxmi on three different days.
- The most attractive feature common to all the regions is the making of large pandals for the goddess where people visit and prayers are held every morning and evening.
Tour Providers :
Due to the heavy demand for the durga puja festival tour by people of different parts of India as well as those from outside the country, many travel agencies have taken up the cudgels to help people in experience the rich culture of the durga puja history.
- The fascinating tours, provide the visit to the durga puja in India and especially to kolkata during the particular period.
- Exotique India pvt ltd arranged many such tours for visiting durga puja festival in kolkata in the special packages that span a period of about 10 days.
- Many customized packages are also given out by toshali sands which also comprises of the navaratri festival. Indian holiday pvt ltd is a leading provider of the durga puja festival tour wherein tourists can also customize the tour itinerary.
- During the durga puja in India, various locations all over India have a festive atmosphere.
- Tourists can visit any place they want and have an additional sight seeing thrown in. for enjoying the durga puja festival in kolkata, the rush is quite high and so many tourists are lured with hotel stays and visit to nearby places of importance in and around kolkata.
The entire period of durga puja festival tour is in itself replete with the glorious durga puja history which the visitors can at least feel in the ambience. The manner in which the culture and tradition is glorified by the people in India is reflected in the durga puja celebrations. It is during this durga puja in India that people are at their colorful best and there is no bar of any sect or caste and the whole nation enjoys the period according to their culture and location with their affordability and beliefs.