Search Lowest fares on all travel sites with one click !
Browse Hill Stations In India
- Hill Stations in East India
- Hill Stations in North India
- Dhanaulti Hills
- Leh Ladakh
- McLeod Ganj
- Nanda Devi
- Tarkeshwar Mahadev
- Thaneek Pura
- Hill Stations in South India
- Agasthiyamalai Hills
- Ananthagiri Hills
- Araku Valley
- Baba Budangiri
- Biligiriranga Hills
- Horsley Hills
- Javadi Hills
- Kolli Hills
- Kottancheri Hills
- Kurangani Hills
- MM Hills
- Nallamala Hills
- Nandi Hills
- Nilgiri Hills
- Red Hills
- Sathuragiri Hills
- Silent Valley
- Sulthan Bathery
- Agasthiyamalai Hills
- Hill Stations in West India
Overview of Landour
Landour, located at about 35km from Dehradun, is a beautiful hill station in the northern portion of Uttarakhand state. Landour and Mussoorie are commonly addressed as twin hill stations are given the nickname “Queen of Hills”. While Mussoorie is famous all over the globe, Landour is its lesser known counterpart. This is one of the major tourist attractions of Dehradun district. Located at a maximum height of about 7800 feet above sea level, this place is a very scenic spot that offers an excellent view of the snow-clad peaks of Himalayas like Nanda Devi, Panchchuli, Gangotri, Badrinath, Kedarnath and many more. That areas leads to Landour is replete with some beautiful deodar and oak trees.
History of Landour
During the days of British rule, it was a general practice to give the local tourist attractions, names of their native villages in Britain and Scotland. Landour is the name given by the British to this hill station, as an ode to a village in Wales’ Carmarthenshire County, named Llanddowror. Dehradun district was a part of the United Provinces earlier. These Provinces were part of Bengal Presidency in the olden days. This Presidency ran all the way from Burma to Khyber Pass. The British Indian Army was the sole beneficiary of Landour as it was constructed by and for this regiment. Around 67% of the Landor hill station was occupied by the Landour Cantonment where the British Indian Army soldiers were posted. The remaining 33% of this place contains the Landour Bazaar which is the commercial part of the hill station.
Landour hill station is located in the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand state. It has many peaks that are located at a maximum height ranging between 6600 and 7800 feet above sea level. This place is located at 30.47 degrees towards the North and 78.10 degrees towards the East.
How to reach and local transport
Air – Jolly Grant Airport at Dehradun, at a distance of 60km, is the nearest to Landour.
Rail – Dehradun railway station, at a distance of close to 60km, is the closest to Landour.
Road – Landour and Mussoorie being the top tourist destinations of Uttarakhand state are well connected by many government and private sector buses that operate from almost all the important cities of the state and other neighbouring states.
Local transport – Taxis on hire, trekking and local buses are some of the local modes of transport available for commuting within Landour.
Tourist Attractions and Things to do
Landour Wildlife Sanctuary, Rajaji National Park, Jwalaji Temple, Lakshman Jhula, Benong Wildlife Sanctuary, Triveni Ghat, Kempty Waterfalls, Jharia Pani Falls, Tapkeshwar Temple and Parmarth Niketan are some of the tourist attractions near Landour. Shopping at Landour Bazaar for some great fabric and trekking along the routes to the small peaks are some activities that tourists can engage in, when they visit Landour.
Places to eat and local cuisine
Emily’s and Dev Dar Woods Restaurant at Landour Cantonment are some of the good restaurants in Landour. The omelettes, chat items, deserts like cinnamon waffles, snacks like Pakoras and vegetable cheese Maggie are the local delicacies here.
Places to stay
Hotel Ashirwad is a 2-star accommodation option around Landour Bazaar. La Villa Bethany is a 5-star hotel here and is one of the best in the state.
STD, PIN Code and Emergency contact numbers
The STD and PIN codes of Landour are 0135 and 248179 respectively. Police, Fire and Ambulance services can be reached any time during the day at 100, 101 and 102 respectively.
Banks, Hospitals and Tourist Office
Union Bank of India
Devonshree Bhavan, Landour Mussoorie district, Dehradun – 248179, Ph: 0135 2632895
Landour Community Hospital
Mussoorie, Dehradun district – 248179, Ph: 0135 2632541
Tourism Development Board of Uttarakhand State
Pandit Dheendhayal Upadhaya Paryatan Bhavan,
Close to ONGC Helipad, Garhi Cantonment, Dehradun – 248001
Ph: 0135 2559898