Search Lowest fares on all travel sites with one click !
Browse Adventure Tours And Travel
- Angling And Fishing
- Angling and Fishing In Arunachal Pradesh
- Angling and Fishing In Assam
- Angling and Fishing In Himachal
- Angling and Fishing In Karnatka
- Angling and Fishing In Meghalaya
- Angling and Fishing In Uttaranchal
- Camping Tours
- Gliding Tours
- Himalayan Adventure Tours
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Mountaineering Tours
- Paragliding Tours
- Paragliding in Himachal Pardesh
- Paragliding in Maharashtra
- Paragliding in Rajasthan
- Paragliding in Uttarakhand
- River Rafting Tours
- Rock Climbing Vactions
- Water Sports
- Winter Sports Tours
- Heli Skiing
- Heli Skiing in Himachal Pradesh
- Heli Skiing in Chanderkhani Pass
- Heli Skiing in Deo Tibba
- Heli Skiing in Hanuman Tibba
- Heli Skiing in Rohtang Paas
- Heli Skiing in Jammu and Kashmir
- Heli Skiing in Gulmarg
- Heli Skiing in Solang Valley
- Heli Skiing in Uttarakhand
- Heli Skiing in Auli
- Heli Skiing in Pithoragarh Kumaon Himalayas
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing
- Mountaineering & Ice Climbing in West Bengal
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Darjeeling
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Himachal Pradesh
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Deo Tibba
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Dhauladhar Ranges
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Hanuman Tibba
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Manali
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Pir Pangal Range
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in J and K
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Gulmarg
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Ladakh
- Mountaineering and Ice Climbing in Zanskar
- Snow Skiing
- Snow Skiing in Himachal Pradesh
- Snow Skiing in Dharamshala
- Snow Skiing in Kufri
- Snow Skiing in Kullu
- Snow Skiing in Manali
- Snow Skiing in Narkanda
- Snow Skiing in Shimla
- Snow Skiing in Solang Nala
- Snow Skiing in Jammu and Kashmir
- Snow Skiing in Gulmarg
- Snow Skiing in Pahalgam
- Snow Skiing in Uttarakhand
- Snow Skiing in Auli
- Snow Skiing in Dayara Bugyal
- Snow Skiing in Mundali
- Snow Skiing in Munsiyari
- Heli Skiing
Accessed by helicopter, Heli-skiing is one winter sport activity which is slowly making its path in India. This winter sport is attracting local as well as foreign tourists. As per evidences, heli skiing came into picture in early 60’s. Adventurists ski down the hill using a snow board from a helicopter. They board the helicopter first which takes them to great heights of the mountains which is also called the landing zone of that mountain peak. Each helicopter has crew or guide that loads the skis as well as poles in one exterior basket. One thing which people are not aware of is that helicopter lands at the peak of run as opposed to general belief that skiers jump from helicopter.
Since the snow conditions on hills and mountains differ to great extent during the winter season and since it is subject to temperature variation, wind, sun and new snowfall, the weather conditions must be considered before one opts for this activity.
Precautions to be taken while doing
Each winter sport that is associated with mountains, snow, hills and heights has some or the other risk and danger associated with it. Just like other winter sports, heli skiing too has numerous risks attached to it. It is henceforth mandatory for the adventurists to take care and imbibe in all the precautions provided by the guide before indulging in such sport or adventure. Make sure that you perform this activity under the guidance of a professional skier. These guides must have years of experience in conducting heli skiing programs in different weather conditions like avalanche, tough weather, monitoring snow etc. They must also have sufficient local knowledge along with accuracy in assessment which is required at different levels.
Your guide must have due knowledge about being able to operate in different conditions, unexpected events etc. The trained guides have expertise of determining avalanche hazard and snow stability. Never get too excited and ignore some really good precautionary tips which are listed below.
- Follow the instructions of your guide.
- Make sure to stop above your hired guide.
- One should ride and ski close to the track set by your guide for your group.
- Keep distance between yourself and other skier as told by the skier.
- Try and ski with one partner who is professionally trained or is experienced in heli-skiing. Remove the pole straps and be cautious of tree hazards.
- Never get too excited while skiing and be in control so that you are aware of the mountain hazard.
- Familiarize yourself with the radio, probe, shovel, and transceiver. All these are avalanche rescue tools.
- Maintain your designated position on the arrival and departure of the helicopter.
- Try and avoid skiing or riding upto the helicopter. Make sure you approach the same on your foot following your guide.
10. Keep your cell on turn off mode and avoid impairing your hearing with music and ear plugs.
11. Join your group slowly and make sure you wait for your group to arrive or depart any place.
Safety has always been a concern when heli-skiing is spoken off. Infact not only guides but the pilots and crew of helicopter which is part of heli-skiing must also be experienced and professional who have good risk management skills. Some kinds of risks which you might encounter during heli-skiing are listed below:
Operational Risk – such kinds of risks cover avalanches. Determine and monitor the snow profile before you ahead for heli skiing.
Medical Risks – Plethora of factors related to medical conditions can pose risk while heli skiing. One needs to take personal care if suffering from any kind of ailment which you feel can make the winter sport difficult for you. Gastro-intestinal, obesity, asthma, endemic diseases, heart diseases are some of the ailments which need to be given attention.
Altitude Risk – Skiing above 10,000 m is always a concern for the tour providers. There is altitude or acute mountain sickness which at times can be life threatening. So be careful and take appropriate medication before you opt for this winter sport.
Equipment used in Heli Skiing
Heli-skiing is very different from regular skiing or riding and hence demands some particular equipment which ensure safety of the adventurist. Ensuing is the list of safety gears which skier must take along or the guide must provide him while going on heli skiing.
- Special wider skis
- Rocker Protection AirBag
- Avalanche Transceiver
- Shovel Alugator Light –
- Avalanche Probe Light –
- Ski boots and ski poles
- Ski helmet, sunglasses or goggles
Apart from all these, wearing right set of clothes is also one basic requirement. Clothes should have proper layering so that you keep protected from snow and other elements. So if you a winter sport lover, heli-skiing is meant for you.